Monday, February 22, 2010

The ACC Sucks

In our lifetimes of watching college basketball (say 1985ish to now), has the ACC ever been this bad or am I imagining things?

Obviously, it's not Pac-10 bad but other than Duke, who looks like a Sweet 16 team? In the Top 100 RPI, Wake is 21, Georgia Tech 33, Clemson 35, Maryland 36, FSU 40, Virginia Tech 44...then Miami at 88. They put 7 teams in the top 50 which is impressive.

Team-my-team, the out of conference wins are weak. Clemson's best win is over Butler on a neutral court. VaTech's best win is on a neutral court over Seton Hall. Wake has a nice slate of wins over Xavier and Richmond at home and a road win at Gonzaga. FSU's best win is a neutral court win over the 'Quette. GaTech's best win is at home against Siena. As for Maryland, uh, er, I guess Fairfield at home.

The 7 teams in the RPI top 50 gives me pause but I have my doubts on how well the conference will perform come March. Perhaps ACC fan can take a page from Big 11 football fan and claim the teams just beat themselves up in conference...

No comments: