Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Breaking Down The Big 10 + 2

Today's bracket has 6 Big Ten teams in and an additional 2 also considered. Michigan, Indiana, and Iowa are on the outside looking in while Northwestern and Penn State need different levels of success in the next month to climb in. Penn State, with a RPI in the mid 40's has the better chance than Northwestern but they both need else. Excluding those 5 teams let's take a quick look at the remaining 6 teams.

Ohio State - One of my preseason Final Four teams OSU has looked unstoppable and is currently ranked #1. Their KenPom rating is #1, however, I have concerns about the depth of this team. They basically only go 7 deep and in March that fact that 3 of them are freshmen concerns me. I'm not ready to call them the ripest #1 for an upset but let's say they are on my radar

Wisconsin - most predictable team this side of Marquette. Will continue to win all games at home and only lose 2-3 on the road. Will come into March as a 4 or 5 seed and lose in the first or second round to a more athletic team. I'd like anybody to show logic against that breakdown

Purdue - just got crushed by Ohio State. Hasn't really missed Robbie Hummel as much as they thought but seems to be breaking down now. Efficiency rating is top 10 and although he looked weak last night JuJuan Johnson is a stud. Preseason pick to be upset in the second round by Wichita State. I'm sticking with that for now.

Illinois - Another preseason favorite of mine, I had them in my Elite Eight. Efficiency is top 15 but defense is a little suspect. Currently 14-6 but they've played a tough schedule, UNC, Texas, Wisky twice, OSU, Maryland and the Zags. They will be battle tested come March and if Demetri McCamey can harness the Dee Brown in him they still have a chance. I like them to at least get to the sweet sixteen.

Minnesota - I'll be honest...they bore me and I don't watch them. They have Blake Hoffsburger who is known for hitting the game tying basket from his butt in a high school tournament game. RPI is average, Efficiency is average. Let's say a 7 seed by season end and a loss to 10 seeded....umm Georgia. Yeah, that sounds good.

Michigan State - probably the most disappointing team in the country they were picked by most to contend for the title. Poor offense and a lack of leadership hurts this team. Korie Lucious, representing Milwaukee well, just got kicked off the team which doesn't help. However, if you could pick one coach to win in March, outside of Coach K, you go with Izzo all day long. I think he figures this out and turns the Spartens into a very dangerous 4-6 seed team by the tourney. Would you pick against Izzo?

No comments: