Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Conference Play Begins

Well, it's January and most teams are either in their conference play or just finishing up their non-conference schedule. A lot of teams have gaudy records as of today but this is where the teams begin to separate. Bracketology becomes a weekly theme and the cream will rise to the top. Each conference has as pretender creeping at the top of the rankings and each has a contender that is just getting ready to get going. Let's start out today with the Big Ten.

Pretender:
I wanted to go with Illinois but I'll save the Illini bashing for Kurly. My pick for pretender is Indiana. Sure they've had a lot of high profile wins so far but I think they are peaking too early. Now, I'm not going over board and saying they won't make the dance but I think a top 10 ranking is way too high. The Big Ten schedule will where them down. Look for a 9-7 conference record and an 8 seed come March.

Contender:
Wisconsin and Michigan State have too lofty of statures to be labeled as a team on the rise so my pick is Northwestern. Every year they play just well enough to not make the tournament. This year is the breakthrough. A couple big road wins along with defending their home court and 10-6 is within reach. For the first time ever, Northwestern goes dancing.

No comments: