Sunday, January 25, 2009

D-James, My Take

Yes, Domonic James is playing better this year, numbers and wins prove that. But, the big question is how will this play out in the tournament when it really matters. Here’s my take on it. As of now, Marquette is 5-0 in the Big East and currently a #3 seed in the bracket. I expect some bumps in the road down the stretch but ultimately 13-5 in the Big East will be good enough for a #5 seed. Now, being a 5 seed usually spells disaster because the 12 seeds are so dangerous but this year is different in that there aren’t a lot of mid-majors creeping in the picture. Because of this I see the 12 seeds being teams like Mississippi State or Wisconsin instead of South Alabama. Ultimately I see Marquette being able to win at least 2 games and be able to make the Sweet Sixteen. After that it’s going to be all about matchups as they still lack size but make up for it with superb guard play and experience.

***I wrote this yesterday before the DePaul game where Marquette looked every bit the Sweet Sixteen team in the first half and every bit the 5 seed that gets beat by the 12 seed in the second half. I guess I haven’t figured them out yet.

No comments: