Sunday, January 15, 2023

Weekly Top 10

10. Xavier - Was waiting for the end of the game to decide who was 10, X or Marquette. Good win for Xavier who now stand alone atop the Big East

9. Gonzaga - The Zags move in, just ahead of St. Mary’s. Under the radar this year a bit, if they can play better defense, they’ll be a factor in March.

8. Virginia - Default ACC team. Good team but not one that strikes me as a real title threat.

7.  Tennessee - Because of an elite D, the computers love this team but this is a team I don’t totally buy. Gave Kentucky life yesterday in a game where UK was asking to get picked apart on defense.

6. Texas - Rodney Terry will probably earn this gig. Like I said, this league is a nightly meat grinder. If Texas manages a top-3 result, I’ll be curious what direction they go.

5. Kansas - Finding ways to win. Game at K-State Tuesday will be one of the must see games of the year. The place will be electric 

4. Purdue - I’ve got my doubts about the Big Ten this year which is probably unfair to Purdue. The defense is good enough to make a Final 4. Really well coached  team.

3. Houston - I’m dropping the Cougs this week. Beating USF by 6 at home was a meh effort. 

2. UCLA - Haven’t lost a game since before Thanksgiving and looking good doing it. Not much more to say

1. Alabama - I’ve watched them beat Houston and eviscerate LSU yesterday.  There 5 wins in league have been by double digits including yesterday’s 40-point win. Brandon Miller might not just be the Frosh of year, he may end up NPOY.

No comments: