Monday, March 15, 2021

Re-Seeding: SOUTH

1. Baylor (4)

2. Ohio State (7)

3. Wisconsin (10)

4. Villanova (12)

5. Purdue (13)

6. Arkansas (18)

7. Texas Tech (23)

8. UNC (28)

9. Florida (37)

10. Utah State (40)

11. Virginia Tech (50)

This is the deepest and best overall region. Wisconsin is definitely seeded where they should be based on results. Their best win is Loyola and probably Maryland or Rutgers. They’ve lived high off the hog from trouncing Louisville and starting the year high in KenPom. They were originally 7th and got as high as 3 after the Louisville win. The key for them has been double digit wins over the lessers of the Big 14. What does it mean? They beat up teams they should but haven’t figured out how to win games against top teams. They’re favorites over UNC and should win but after that, thanks for playing and send Brad Davison back to Minnesota, eh?


Villanova gets a tough matchup against Winthrop. Pat Kelsey’s team plays fast and Nova was already sketchy on defense before Collin Gillespie got hurt. KenPom loves Nova in this game and it’s a trendy pick, so that gives me cause for pause. Purdue has quietly gone about their business this year but I won’t be surprised if North Texas makes that game interesting.


Utah State-Texas Tech might be a rock fight. Both teams can defend. I don’t think I’d pick Utah State but if this things stays in the 50’s, it’ll be a coin flip. I would like to see TTU-Arkansas in round two, though.


Florida-Virginia Tech is arguably the worst 7-10 game I can recall. Whoever wins that game won’t scare Ohio State. 


Baylor is still the clear favorite here. They’re +4 in AdjEM over Ohio State. The Buckeyes are closer to Wisconsin and roughly the same difference the other way from Texas Tech. I think this region could be a potential chaos region, but I really like Baylor and after doing 4 of these, I’m going Baylor and Gonzaga. I think it’s Houston or Illinois and I’ll ride with Houston because Illinois will be a very trendy pick and one of UConn or FSU out East. It’s Michigan if they figure out life without Livers but that’s almost too big a loss.

No comments: