Thursday, October 29, 2015

A-10/Big East Notes

I'll have a full Big East post before the season but I slightly disagree with Brian about how close these two leagues may be.  

KenPom pre-season has 4 Big East teams in the top 32 and no A-10 before 46 and that's Davidson. In fairness, Butler, Georgetown and Xavier all check in at 27,29 & 31. That's basically second round and done projections.

This isn't a slam on the A-10, a league I like a lot. It's just not as good as it once was, sadly (Neither is the Big East for that matter). Losing Xavier and Temple will do that. I don't think there's a huge separation between the top 3 of Davidson, Rhode Island & VCU. Since I've banged the Rhode Island drum for the last two years, I'll stick with them. Also, Richmond is my sleeper to steal a bid.

I'll probably regret this but I disagree with Brian on Georgetown and their ceiling. A lot depends on the development of the sophomores. Paul White, L.J. Peak, Tre Campbell & Isaac Copeland all are very talented and if two of them make a jump, look out. Really keep an eye on Copeland.

They also add some talented freshman in big men Marcus Derrickson & Jessie Govan and swingman Kaleb Johnson who Jon Rothstein said is already their best defender.

They play Maryland and Wisconsin in the 2nd and 3rd games of the season, so we should know quickly where the Hoyas are possibly headed.

No comments: