Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Sweet 16, Thursday Session

SOUTH REGION

Stanford vs. Dayton - Stanford enters a slight favorite. It's somewhat amusing if we think about Dayton's success. On two occasions, they could have been sent home but survived to live another day. Luck is always such a real thing in sports. That's not a shot at Dayton but a reminder how unpredictable things can be. Stanford looks like every Stanford team of my life except Johnny Dawkins is coaching it. In all these picks, I haven't looked at the numbers so it's all my fat gut.  

Pick: Dayton 61 Stanford 56

Florida vs. UCLA - Florida played indifferent in the opening round and in the first half against Pitt before dismantling the Panthers in the 2nd half. They'll have to bring it for 40 minutes against the Bruins. This is Steve Alford's first Sweet 16 since 1999. He's done a great job this year and a Bruins win won't shock me. I'm taking the Gators simply because Scottie Wilbekin has that look of that guy that we remember as the heart of a title team.  A Cleaves, Battier, May, etc. I'm buying the cliche.

Pick: Florida 63 UCLA 60

WEST REGION

Wisconsin vs. Baylor - This could be the best game of the night or one of these teams could blow the other out. Baylor looks fantastic but bad Baylor is always lurking. I was intrigued by a Badgers-Bluejays matchup because I figured that would be like a 90-85 type game. Baylor's zone is long and active but the Badgers can shoot it if given space. I think the difference is Kaminsky from mid-range and I don't trust Baylor not to be bad Baylor.

Pick: Wisconsin 75 Baylor 68

Arizona vs. San Diego State - I've seen some arguments that Sean Miller is the best coach never to make a Final Four. Eh, seems pretty young in his career to anoint him that. Whatever the case, his Wildcats looked dominant late Sunday night. SDSU making the Sweet 16 is pretty remarkable. They were expected to be a team like this next year and this a rebuilding year. It'll probably be a low scoring tilt and I'll stick with Arizona.

Pick: Arizona 59 San Diego State 51

No comments: